Transfer Policies & Resources

General Policies for All Transfer Students

  • In general, UNC Asheville accepts all academic courses completed with a grade of C or higher from regionally accredited institutions. Courses of a technical nature, and those taken within an applied science curriculum do not generally  transfer.
  • Courses taken as pass/fail (graded S/U or P/F) will not transfer unless it can be determined that the student would have received a C or better if the course had been assigned a standard letter grade.
  • Transfer credit is not automatically awarded for First Year Seminars, independent study, practicums, internships, field experience or service learning courses. Petitions to receive credit for such courses will be considered if accompanied by syllabi or similar documentation.
  • Transfer credit is NOT awarded for life experiences.
  • Applied courses, whether technical or methodological (except in the fine arts), are not transferable unless they fulfill specific degree requirements and are approved by the chair of the appropriate department.
  • Courses to satisfy General Education/Liberal Arts Core and major requirements are judged individually. They should be generally equivalent in information and methodology to courses in the university's core curriculum or major programs. In cases of doubt, the chairs of the appropriate departments will determine the equivalency accepted. Courses will be considered general electives if they are not part of the core curriculum or required for the major or minor.

University Requirements

  • All students must complete at least 60 semester hours from 4-year institutions.
  • All students must complete 30 semester hours from 300- and 400-level courses
  • All students must complete their final 30 hours in residence at UNC Asheville
  • Students must complete at least 1/2 of their major and/or minor requirements at UNC Asheville
  • Students seeking a second degree must complete at least 2/3 of their major requirements at UNC Asheville.

Two Year College Transfers

  • Courses from 2-year schools cannot be counted as part of the 30 semester hours that must be completed at the 300-400 level even if the courses are used to fulfill upper-level requirements.
  • Students transferring from a 2-year institution must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours at UNC Asheville.
  • Students transferring with credit from more than one institution must complete at least 60 semester hours from 4-year institutions regardless of the amount of credit transferred from the 2-year school(s).

Transfer Evaluation Process Overview

If you have not applied and/or not been accepted for admission to UNC Asheville, you may contact the Office of Admissions to schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor to do an unofficial evaluation of your transcript(s). If you would like an unofficial evaluation of your transcript(s), please electronically submit your transcript(s) to a minimum of five (5) working days prior to your scheduled appointment with the Office of Admissions.

After you have been accepted for admission to UNC Asheville and your transcripts are received, your credit will be evaluated in the Office of the Registrar generally within two weeks after your acceptance. The transfer evaluator will record all transferable work and course equivalencies on the transfer evaluation which can be viewed through your UNC Asheville OnePort account.

This transfer evaluation lists all courses accepted by UNC Asheville in transfer, the number of credits awarded for each course, and any UNC Asheville equivalencies. Some transfer courses may meet major requirements, which can be determined later by the department chair in your major. 

All transfer credits that do not meet general requirements or major requirements will be treated as elective credits.
You may discuss the results of your transfer evaluation with the transcript evaluator in the Office of the Registrar.

Standards Applied to Transfer Course Work

See our Transfer Equivalencies webpage for specific transfer credit requirements.

UNC Asheville accepts for transfer credit undergraduate courses that are completed with a grade of C or better at regionally accredited institutions and are compatible with UNC Asheville's programs. We accept all such credit, no matter how many years ago you earned it.

Regionally accredited institutions are those that have been fully accredited by the appropriate regional Association of Colleges and Schools - Middle States, North Central, New England, Northwest, Southern or Western.

How transfer credit applies to UNC Asheville requirements for graduation is more important than the total number of  hours transferred. Only courses similar to those offered at UNC Asheville are accepted in transfer. Examples that are transferable would include: Anthropology, Geography, Geology, Physical Science and Social Science. 

Course work in other areas may not be accepted in transfer.  Examples of technical/vocational areas that are not transferable are: Dentistry, Drafting, Electronics, Engineering, Home Economics, Horticulture, Interior Design, Mechanics, Nursing and Recreation.

If you took a course on a Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis, we will award transfer credit only if your transcript specifically states that the passing or satisfactory grade represents a grade of C or better.

Transfer credit is not automatically awarded for FIrst Year Seminars, independent study, practicums, internships, field experience or service learning courses. Petitions to receive credit for such courses will be considered if accompanied by syllabi or similar documentation. 

Transfer credit is not awarded for life experiences.

UNC Asheville transfers the credit hours for previous course work but not the grades. You have no grade-point average (GPA) when you begin your studies at the university. Only the course work you complete at UNC Asheville will be used to compute your GPA.

Credit at UNC Asheville is awarded on a semester-hour basis. If you attended a school using the quarter system, every quarter hour of credit is equal to two-thirds of a semester hour. All credit accepted is recorded as semester hours, even though it may have been earned as quarter hours.

  • 5 quarter hours = 3 1/3 semester hours
  • 4 quarter hours = 2 2/3 semester hours
  • 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
  • 2 quarter hours = 1 1/3 semester hours
  • 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hours

CAA Transfer Credit Appeal Procedure

If a student from a North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) college believes UNC Asheville has not honored the terms of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), the student may invoke the CAA Transfer Credit Appeal Procedure.

Reverse Transfer

North Carolina's Reverse Transfer Program is designed to award an associate degree to students who previously attended a North Carolina Community College (NCCC) and fulfilled the associate degree requirements while working towards a bachelor's degree at a University of North Carolina institution. This program is a state initiative in which a student can combine credit previously earned at a NCCC with credit they have earned at participating four year universities to apply for an Associate's Degree from the NCCC they attended intitually. 

Procedure for Students:

  • Log into OnePort and if you qualify, you will recieve a pop-up requesting participation. 
  • By virtue of "opt in", you sign an agreement that you will follow UNC Asheville's curriculum towards the baccalaureate degree and that you understand that academic advisors and/or the Registrar's office cannot provide advising for community college coursework. 
  • Once you "opt-out", no futher action from you is required. 
  • You may also Change your Answer to the Reverse Transfer question via OnePort. 

NOTE: The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement between the UNC and NCCC systems states that, “A student who completes the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree prior to transfer to a UNC institution will have fulfilled the UNC institution’s lower division general education requirements*. “ [V.A.3.c.] UNC Asheville awards credit for general education (LAC) requirements to the maximum extent possible, on a course-by-course basis, at any point that a student transfers from a NC Community College.  If an enrolled student opts to participate in the Reverse Transfer program and is awarded an Associate in Arts or Science degree, UNC Asheville does not automatically re-evaluate the student’s new transfer credit status. Students who feel that their new Associates degree may provide additional LAC requirement credits may petition through the Registrar's office.

In all cases it is the responsibility of the students to determine what courses they need to complete their Associates degree through Reverse Transfer.  UNC Asheville faculty and advisor can only advise students on UNC Asheville’s degree requirements.

* Students must meet the receiving university's foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, prior to or after transfer to the senior institution.

Please see the official Reverse Transfer Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for eligibility and answers to all your questions.