Grades & Credit Hours

How can I retake a course I failed and replace the grade?

Students needing to retake a course in which they earned a C-, D, F or U must fill out a Grade Replacement Course form in the Office of the Registrar in order to be registered for the course. Students cannot register themselves via the web for any repeat courses. Students who have retaken a course in the past but have never filed the Grade Replacement Course form must do so in order to have the grade replaced. A separate form must be filed for each repeated course; however, multiple attempts of the same course can be covered on one form.

Students may, for a variety of reasons, elect to repeat a course. If a student so elects, the following policies will govern the awarding of credit and the computation of his or her GPA:

  • This policy applies to UNC Asheville courses taken during or after Fall 1982;
  • Courses taken at other institutions cannot be used to replace a grade earned in a UNC Asheville course;
  • A maximum of 2 courses can be replaced under this policy during the student’s academic career;
  • The quality points of the new grade will be used in the calculation of the Grade Point Average (GPA); however, all course attempts and grades will appear on the student’s transcript. The transcript will indicate if the course has been repeated for grade replacement purposes;
  • All attempts of the same course count towards the 2 course limit;
  • A course can be replaced only if the student has not reached the 2 course limit;
  • Students who have graduated cannot file requests for retroactive grade replacements;
  • Grades will not be replaced automatically and students must submit the Grade Replacement form to the Office of the Registrar in order to request that this action be taken.

What do I need to do to request an Incomplete grade in a course?

An instructor may give a grade of Incomplete (I) at the student’s request, on the grounds of some occurrence beyond the student’s control causing him or her to miss final examinations or some other limited amount of work at the end of the semester or term. Requests must be made before the end of the last class day and the reason stated in writing. If the reason is acceptable, the instructor will fill out a Request for Incomplete Grade form stating the reason, the precise work to be made up and the date due. The date due can be no later than four weeks prior to the end of the term immediately following, summer terms not included. The instructor must also include on the form, a grade to be recorded in the event that the student fails to make up the work. The form should be turned into the Office of the Registrar by the date grades are due. Students cannot graduate with an outstanding incomplete grade on their record.

What is an “In Progress (IP) grade?

An instructor may give an In-Progress (IP) grade to a student enrolled in a specially designated research course when the research has not been completed by the end of the semester. Following completion of the research, a grade change form must be used to replace the IP with a regular grade. Course descriptions indicate if an IP grade may be given for a course. Students cannot graduate with an outstanding IP on their record.

What should I do if I think a grade is incorrect?

You should contact your instructor. Only the instructor can make a change to a grade or request a change be made to the Office of the Registrar.

What is my classification?

Degree seeking students are classified according to the number of semester hours of credit earned which means that hours a student is currently registered for in a term do NOT count towards their classification.

  • Freshmen – up to 29 semester hours
  • Sophomore – 30 – 59 semester hours
  • Junior – 60-89 semester hours
  • Senior – 90 or more semester hours

What counts toward attempted hours?

Every course for which a student is enrolled at the end of the last day of the drop-add period receives a grade and counts toward attempted hours. Courses transferred in also count in attempted hours.

How many credit hours of enrollment are required to be considered full-time?

A student enrolled in 12 or more credit hours at the undergraduate level is considered a full time student. Graduate students enrolled in 9 or more credit hours of graduate level coursework are considered full time.

If I withdraw from a course or audit a course will I still be enrolled full-time?

Audit and 'W' grades do not count toward full-time enrollment. Students who withdraw or audit a course should be sure that it does not take them below the minimum 12 (undergraduate) or 9 (graduate) semester hours required to be full-time. Eligibility for Financial Aid, participation in athletics, loans, insurance and veteran benefits may be affected for students who fall below this minimum.