It's important to know how to calculate your grade point average (GPA). This allows you to fully understand how each new grade will affect your GPA. Knowing how to calculate your GPA allows you to conduct "what-if" scenarios at the beginning of each semester and use the results to set goals for yourself.
How to calculate your current GPA
- Log into OnePort
- Select the Student tab
- Choose Academic Services
- Click "continue" under Banner Services
- Choose Student & Financial Aid
- Select Student Records
- Click Unofficial Academic Transcript and submit.
- Scroll to the bottom on your last semester with grades and you'll see your attempted, passed, earned and gpa hours.
Divide your total Quality Points by your total GPA Hours. For example, (179.33/79)=2.27 GPA
GradPlan also includes a GPA calculator.
How to perform a What-if GPA calculation
|Class||Credit Hours||Anticipated Grade||Grade Value||
(Hours x Grade Value)
- Combine the total Quality Points from your transcript with the Projected Quality Points from the chart above. Write this number down (179.33+40.32) = 219.65
- Combine the total GPA Hours from your transcript with the Projected Credit Hours from the chart above. Write this number down (79+14)=93
- Divide the newly calculated total Quality Points (219.65) by your newly calculated total GPA Hours (93) = 2.36
The GPA is determined by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of quality hours attempted ("quality points" and "quality hours" are derived from courses graded as listed below). The GPA is computed only on the basis of coursework taken at UNC Asheville.
- A 4 quality points per semester hour
- A- 3.67 quality points per semester hour
- B+ 3.33 quality points per semester hour
- B 3 quality points per semester hour
- B- 2.67 quality points per semester hour
- C+ 2.33 quality points per semester hour
- C 2 quality points per semester hour
- C- 1.67 quality points per semester hour
- D+ 1.33 quality points per semester hour
- D 1 quality point per semester hour
- F,U 0 quality points
- S, X/Y, W, I and IP carry no quality points and are not including in the calculation of the Grade-point average (GPA)