Changes to Personal Information

Below are the policies and procedures for students wanting or needing to make changes to their Address and/or Telephone Number, Name, or Gender.

Address and Telephone Number Changes

It is the student's responsibility to keep their address and phone number information current at all times.

Students may update their addresses and phone numbers one of two ways:

  1. On-line via their OnePort account
  2. In person in the OneStop Center located in University Hall

All students are required to have a valid permanent (PR), billing (BI) and local mailing address (MA) even if the same address is listed for all three of these address types. Failure to do so could result in a registration hold being placed on your account. Students are also encouraged to update any parent or next of kin address information, if applicable, so it is on file in the event of an emergency. Students may view, update or add addresses by logging into their OnePort account and going to the Personal Information menu page. Then, select Update/View Addresses.

In addition to parent information, the University collects Emergency Contact Information for all currently enrolled students. Students should visit the Update Emergency Contact link on the Personal Information menu page. The Emergency Contact person could be a parent, guardian, spouse or some person, other than yourself, that you designate as the person to contact in the event of an emergency.

Address types are defined as follows:

Local Mailing Address (MA):

This address would be where you live while attending UNCA and where you can be reached while the semester is in session. Students who live in the Residence Halls will have a university box address that serves this purpose.

Billing Address (BI):

This address would be where you need your billing information sent.

Permanent Address (PR):

This address would be where you live when the semester is not in session and where you consider your home to be. Please note: Changing your permanent address from an out of state address to a North Carolina address does NOT automatically change your residency status for tuition purposes. Students must submit a request for reconsideration in order for residency status to change. Undergraduate and non-degree students may request reconsideration via the Residency Determination Service (RDS) at Graduate students may request reconsideration by submitting the paper application form.

Phone Numbers:

Students are encouraged to provide a valid phone number for each address. Cell phone numbers are acceptable if that is the primary phone number at which a student can be reached.

Name Changes

The Office of the Registrar processes name changes for all currently enrolled and former students except for those who are employed in a permanent position by the University. Permanent employees should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.

Students may request a name change in one of two ways:

  1. In Person: Name changes may be requested in person at the Office of the Registrar, located in the OneStop Center, Ramsey Library 011. Requests submitted in person require a photo ID and specific legal documentation as outlined below. The official Name Change form must also be completed.
  2. By Mail: Name changes may be requested by mail. The official Name Change form must be completed and signed. Appropriate legal documentation should be attached and both the name change form and documentation must be notarized showing the original notary seal and signature of notary.

Acceptable types of legal documentation:

The type of legal documentation to include with your request depends upon the type of name change you are requesting. 

  • Adoption: A change of name due to adoption requires the original court order or notarized copy
  • Divorce: A change of name due to divorce requires the original divorce decree or notarized copy
  • Legal Change: A change of name due to legal issues requires the original court order or notarized copy
  • Marriage: A change of name due to marriage requires the original marriage certificate or notarized copy
  • Corrections: A change of name due to a spelling error requires your drivers license

All name change requests require the Name Change form as well as legal documentation. If the reason for your name change is not included above, you may contact our office to inquire about the documentation you should submit. In many cases, a current driver's license will serve as an acceptable form of documentation for the changes listed above. A current social security card indicating the new name is also an acceptable form of documentation but a photo ID will also be required.

PLEASE NOTE: Copies of documentation received that are not notarized cannot be accepted. Legal documentation must be notarized or the original copy brought to the Office of the Registrar for a copy to be made.

Alumni: Requests/Notifications sent to the Alumni Office at UNC Asheville to update your name do NOT officially change your name on your academic record or transcript. You must follow the steps above to officially change your name with the University.

Employees: Current and former students who are employed by the University in a permanent position should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.

Gender Change Policy

Students who are currently enrolled at The University of North Carolina at Asheville, or who have graduated, may have their gender status changed in the student information system by presenting to the Office of the Registrar an original, signed letter from a physician attesting to the process of gender transition or by an official court order affirming a gender change. Gender information does not appear on University documents (class rosters, academic transcripts, student ID cards, etc) but is used for statistical reporting at times.

Students should understand that a change to gender does not presume a change in name and they should refer to the policy for requesting a name change above.