To take courses not part of the Language Exchange, including online courses at other UNC campuses, the Visiting Permission process applies. Students start that process by submitting the Visiting Permission form to request permission prior to taking the course(s). The student will need to apply directly to the other institution and follow that institution’s procedures for admission, billing, and registration. The transfer credit will be posted to the students UNCA record upon receipt of an official transcript, indicating a grade of C or higher, from the visited institution. We recommend UNCA students utilize the transfer equivalency tool to see how courses taken elsewhere will be accepted by UNCA
The UNC Language Exchange provides the universities in the UNC System with a professional platform aimed at facilitating the sharing of faculty and instructional resources to enhance foreign language instruction and to support the various foreign and classical language and studies programs in North Carolina. The primary goal is to facilitate the sharing of a wide variety of undergraduate courses in global languages and cultural studies among all UNC institutions through distributed education technologies and/or other options. The work of the existing foreign language consortia supports the creation of Language Exchanges on the UNC Online website.
Students wanting to take courses through the UNC Language Exchange should review the relevant policies and deadlines below governing participation. Once students have determined they meet the requirements for participation, they may search for available courses being offered by each UNC institution for a given term.
Please Note: The process to register for a UNC Language Exchange course is all online – there is no paper application. Students must meet the required guidelines and follow the steps to take an online course at another UNC institution.
Steps to Request Approval
Once a course is identified, students should follow the following steps to request approval:
- Login using your OnePort login credentials as directed. The login link is located in the top right corner of the Search for Courses page.
- Search for the course(s) in which you are interested. Use the Equivalency Finder to search courses using UNCA subjects and course numbers.
- Select Register under the appropriate course prefix and number.
- Select Add to Bookbag.
- Review the items in your bookbag for accuracy and make any needed adjustments.
- Select Register for Courses.
- Follow remaining instructions to complete your request.
Policies for UNC Asheville Students Participating in the UNC Language Exchange Program
The following policies govern the participation of UNC Asheville students in the UNC Language Exchange program. For all purposes, the home institution is the institution where the student is seeking a degree. The host institution is the institution where the student will take the online course(s).
- Student must be an undergraduate degree-seeking student, a post-baccalaureate second degree seeking , or a teacher licensure student. Students are not permitted to take UNC Language Exchange classes in their first semester.
- Student must be enrolled in at least one course at UNC Asheville to participate in UNC Language Exchange in a fall or spring semester. Current students requesting permission for the summer do not have to be enrolled in a course at UNC Asheville.
- Students must be in good academic standing. Students on academic warning or on academic appeal of suspension or dismissal are NOT eligible to take a course(s) through the UNC Language Exchange program.
- Students may take up to two (2) courses each term through the UNC Language Exchange program. The maximum total enrollment (at UNC Asheville and the host institution) for the fall or spring semester cannot exceed 18 hours. The maximum total enrollment (at UNC Asheville and the host institution) cannot exceed 10 hours for the summer. Students requesting an exception to the maximum hours must submit a Registration Hours Overload form.
- Degree residency requirements still apply to all students. Students must complete the final 30 hours in residence at UNC Asheville, must complete a minimum of 60 hours at four-year institutions, and one half of one’s major/minor must be completed at UNC Asheville.
- Course(s) taken through UNC Language Exchange cannot be offered at UNC Asheville within the same semester (fall and spring). Requests to take a course through the UNC Language Exchange will be reviewed based on transfer policies and established equivalencies. If the equivalent course is being offered at UNC Asheville during the same semester, permission will not be given.
- Students may not utilize the grade replacement option for courses repeated at a host institution.
- Courses taken must be credit bearing – no audits.
- Credit from the host institution will be considered transferable as long as a grade of C or higher is earned in the course(s). Please Note: Transfer credit counts in a student’s attempted and earned hours, but does NOT factor into the student’s GPA. Courses in which the student earns a C- or below at the host institution will not transfer back to UNC Asheville and therefore, no credit will be awarded.
- Student must follow the drop/withdrawal schedules and the refund schedule of the home institution. To add courses, registration must be open at both the home and host institution.
- Student will be charged by their home institution. Student is responsible for payment by published deadline. Students enrolling at UNC Chapel Hill pay additional tuition fees directly to UNC Chapel Hill.
- The Financial Aid Office at UNC Asheville determines eligibility for financial aid. Financial aid is awarded, disbursed and accounted for by the Financial Aid Office at UNC Asheville. Students should apply for financial aid solely through the Financial Aid Office at UNC Asheville. Failure to comply with this policy could jeopardize the student’s eligibility to receive future financial aid funds, and/or require repayment of funds received for attendance at the host institution.
- Students may NOT enroll in a UNC Language Exchange course(s) during the last 30 hours of enrollment at UNC Asheville. Courses to satisfy major competencies must be taken at UNC Asheville.
For more information, visit UNC Online.
Policies for Non-UNCA Students Enrolling in a UNC Language Exchange Course Hosted by UNC Asheville
The following policies govern the participation of non-UNCA students in the UNC Language Exchange program. For all purposes, the home institution is the institution where the student is seeking a degree. The host institution is the institution where the student will take the online course(s).
- Student must submit the request through the UNC Language Exchange site prior to the first day of the class.
- Student must be eligible to enroll in UNC Language Exchange course.
- Student will receive a bill from their home institution. The student is responsible for payment to their home institution.
- Student will be charged by their home institution. Student is responsible for payment by published deadline.
- Student must follow the drop/withdrawal schedules and the refund schedule of the home institution. To add courses, registration must be open at both the home and host institution. For a listing of those dates, please refer to the UNC Asheville Academic Calendar.
For more information, visit UNC Online.