Granting Access to a Proxy (FERPA Release)
Beginning in the Fall 2013, the Office of the Registrar is pleased to announce an online version of the FERPA Release form. Students no longer have to fill out a paper form to authorize a parent or other individual to view portions of their academic record, financial aid or accounts payable information. Authorization by the student is required and the process is completed entirely online!
Students grant online access to authorized individuals, known as proxies, through their OnePort account using their UNC Asheville log-in credentials. Proxies will then receive email instructions on how to access a separate, secure online portal. The portal does require a log in to view the information pages to which the student has granted them access. See below for more information on how to set up a proxy or view a video demonstration!
Steps in Setting Up a Proxy:
You, the student, can authorize any relative or non-relative as a proxy to view portions of your academic record as long as that individual has a valid email address. Here's how:
- Go to the UNC Asheville homepage and click on the OnePort link at the top right portion of the page. Log in to your OnePort account using your log in credentials.
- Click on the Student Tab
- Under Academic Services, click to continue.
- Under Banner Services, click to continue.
- Click Student and Financial Aid
- Click the Proxy Access Tab
- Click on Proxy Management
- Click to Add Proxy
- Type in the required information including a valid email address for the proxy. This is not your email address. This email address will allow the proxy to receive communications necessary to finalize the set up of their account access.
- Once you have entered the required information, click on Add Proxy again.Continue with the process by defining your relationship with the proxy. Be as specific as possible and be sure to include a Passphrase. The passphrase is a word or words that the proxy must know in order to be given information when they call on the phone and speak with university faculty or staff. It helps verify the identity of the individual calling and requesting information. Be sure to keep the passphrase private between you and your proxy.
- You will also notice the start and stop date fields. This allows you the ability to control the duration your proxy is able to view your information. The end date can be as far into the future as you would like it to be, however, access is deactivated anytime you are not a currently enrolled student.
- Click to email the passphrase to the proxy so they will know it should they call and request information over the phone. University faculty and staff cannot disclose passphrase information so if your proxy forgets it, they must contact you to get it.
- Finally, go to the Authorizations tab and select the check boxes next to the information you wish for your proxy to be able to view. If you check the top box, all boxes will be checked for you. However, you can also individually select them if you do not wish for all information to be viewed by the proxy. Be sure to click the email authorizations link if you want to email the authorizations you have granted to your proxy.
- You have now completed the set up for your proxy to have view access!
PLEASE NOTE: While you are completing the above steps, your proxy will be receiving emails instructing them on their next steps to finalize their access. Thus, it is important that you complete all steps in sequence at one time to ensure your proxy doesn’t experience any issues with finalizing their access.
Last edited by email@example.com on November 1, 2013